Monday, March 14, 2011

The Titanic has Arrived

"One of the virtues of being very young is that you don't let the facts get in the way of your imagination." ~Sam Levenson

The other day, my girl's imagination was in full force. We were all rich and famous (of course we were because when you pretend..you always pretend to be either really rich or really poor). We were riding on the Titanic. As we all know, the titanic sadly sunk, but did you know there were some survivors. These heroic girls jumped ship and floated on some pieces of the shipwreck. Their names were :

Rachel

Alyssa

Ebeny
and Kathryn ( I don't know what happened to my picture!)

After floating on some wood for days, we landed on a mysterious, magical Island. We decided to name it : "Surprise Island"


We went on many adventures around our island. As we traveled the island, we made a wonderful map so we could go back to our favorite places and stay away from the scary areas.

When we found a favorite place we would name it after each other. For example,
1) "Rachel Beach" has a beautiful waterfall and treasures in the sand. The water is warm and it is always summer. (Taylor loves the summer and wants to be in her swimsuit all the time)

2) "Kathryn Bay" was like a lake. No sharks or scary fish. It also had a beautiful, but dangerous waterfall named "Deadly Falls." ( I love the lake....the ocean, not so much!)

3) "Alyssa Bay" has a ton of rocks. Rocks made out of everything imaginable and plenty of sand/mud.. (Nicole loves rocks and mud. She loves to play in the dirt!!)

4) "Ebeny Bay" has beautiful Palm Trees to make it nice and shady. Not too hot, not to warm. We could also make clothes out of these Palm Trees. (Kaylee loves the fall. She likes to be outside, but not in the direct sun. She also like clothes...ALOT)

After being on the island, for months our hair grew so long and we had to make our own clothes. We made our clothes out of palm tree leaves and our hair grew extremely long. ( I remember being little and putting skirts on my head so I could have long beautiful hair. My girls decided to use scarfs.)

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up.
~Pablo Picas
so

It was such a fun Sunday morning. The "game" lasted a couple of days. The girls transformed the entire house into an island. The upstairs landing was our cave complete with beds, dishes, and food. Every day someone would either get deathly sick or find some new fascinating treasure. I always played the sick one!! I liked being taken of - my hair was brushed, my head was rubbed, and the girls were sincerely concerned for their "little sister."

AREN'T IMAGINATIONS GREAT!!
Sometimes I get so caught up in the mundane routine of life - do homework, practice the piano, exercise, pay the bills, go to ballet, go to gymnastics, speech therapy, etc. I forget to just PLAY!! That should be added on my list of " to do's" These are the things I will remember and the girls will remember.

Every once in a while I need a good reminder of the important things in life. And this was one of those days when I actively chose to play instead of work.


"He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed." ~Albert Einstein

No comments: