Sunday, October 18, 2009

Baby Sam

(This picture was taken by a wonderful organization "Now I Lay me Down to Sleep." Professional Photographers volunteer their services and their time to take pictures of these little ones.)

On September 10, we went to Utah to celebrate the birth of our nephew - Sam. We have been anxiously awaiting the birth of this little one. At the half way point ultrasound, his mom and dad found out he was going to be born with a heart defect - Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome. He was going to live for a only a few days. The months before his birth were very trying for my sister in-law/and brother in-law, but through prayer, faith, and their understanding of the plan of salvation - they felt understood, heard and loved.


Sue and Baby Sam

I loved his light hair and chubby cheeks.

Kaylee was so excited to meet Sam. She prayed for him every day and brought one of her stuffed animals to give him.

She loved holding him.... and gained a deeper understanding of God's plan.


It is very difficult for me to put into words how I felt holding this special child of God. I did not want to let him go. I remember very clearly the first thing I felt when I held him. I thought, "So this is what it feels like to be in heaven." I wanted to be better and do better. I want to do everything I can to return to live with our Heavenly Father again. Sam was such a special child and his spiritual gift of charity changed all those around him.
I am so grateful for my wonderful family. Surprisingly, it was Sue who calmed our emotions. She was so strong and will always stand as an example to me of one of God's faithful. As Sue told me, "Heavenly Father gave Sam his heart. It wasn't an accident - He has a plan. It was meant to be this way."

Little Sam Michael Schwab passed away at home surrounded by his family during the afternoon of Saturday, Sept. 12. As Grandma Johnson said, "In the last four days, he felt the sun on his face, the kisses of his brother and sister, and the love of his mom and dad. He received his body and was blessed with special spiritual gifts."


11 comments:

Cumorah said...

Oh my gosh Kim. I'm sitting here crying my eyes out. I can't imagine having to let go so soon... I just want to hug your sister, and cry. I want to say "Send her my love" but that just doesn't seem like enough.

Robin said...

Thank you so much for sharing this with us. I was moved to tears. What a tender sweet time this has been for your family.

The Titmi said...

Wasnn't expecting to bawl like a baby this morning! Oh- Kim, my heart goes out to you all

maynardmoments said...

Thanks for the post. Little Sam has touched all of our hearts. I am so glad you and your family were able to see him and hold him. What a special thing. I bet it meant so much to Mike and Sue.

Sue said...

Thanks Kim

Jamie Lamb said...

I too am in tears after reading this. What a precious little boy. He looks so peaceful in all of these pictures. I am glad you got to meet and hold him.

Anonymous said...

i had to read this a piece at a time...i kept crying. what a blessing our Heavenly Fathers has given to all of us. some just understand a little too soon...

bobbi said...

Thanks for sharing, Kim. What a sweet little one, to help remind us all of what is truly important.

Debbie said...

Thank you for the touching (and tear jerking) post. I can't imagine how difficult that must be for your sister, but still she was able to give that precious baby so much love in his short life.

lori parkhurst said...

What a great tribute to baby Sam.

Rachel said...

Wow, this is an amazing post. Thank you for sharing, Kim!