
Last conference, Elder Wirthlin gave a talk entitled "Come What May, and Love It." It was wonderful and I suggest we all go back and reread it. LOVED IT!! In his talk, he tells us to laugh often. Well, I have been thinking about that alot this past week. This is why:
I LAUGHED when:
1. Nicole couldn't keep the bottom half of her swimsuit on. Warren and I dropped Nicole off at the YMCA swimming pool and went to lift weights. I came back about 5 minutes before class was over and a life gaurd came right up to me and asked, "Is that your daughter in the 2 piece tankini?" Yes, that is my daughter - why do you ask. She proceeded to tell me her bottoms would not stay on and I needed to buy her a new swimsuit. I immediately felt all eyes on the mom who let her girl flash everyone at the Y pool. I looked over at Nicole and sure enough, she was mooning the entire world. You could see her cute little bum under the water. And, everytime she got out of the pool, her bottoms would be down at her knees or ankles. I am sure her male teenage instructor was alittle uncomfortable. I couldn't help but laugh as she pulled them back up. No one else apparently thought it was very funny. It didn't bother Nicole, she just slid her bottoms right back up and said, "ooops -my bum, bum is showing."

2. My favorite bowl had an untimely death. I have had this huge plastic mixing bowl with a pouring spout since Warren and I were married. Nicole loves to pretend cook with it by mixing all sorts of imaginary foods in the bowl and than sticking it in the oven to bake her "cake or muffins." The other day, I was preheating the oven to make some delicious fish when Kaylee said, "WHAT STINKS!!" I told her something most be in the oven and it is probably just the fish. Well, a few minutes later, I opened the oven to discover that yes, something was in the oven.
My favorite bowl melted!! It stunk and was stuck. Nicole was alittle worried and we had a quick talk about sticking things in the oven, but I couldn't help but laugh at the situation - because what else can you do. I also was laughing because I was wondering why my sense of smell was off? Why did everyone notice the smell except for me? Could it be, I smell so many awful things (dirty diapers, crusty necks, lovely hands, etc) all day long that I have developed the ability to remove myself from the situation.
3. Nicole walked up to me at a Young Women meeting with her index finger up in the air and an "I smell Poo" face. She showed me her finger and blurted out, "I have poo on my finger." I took her by the other hand and went to wash her hands - laughing to myself as I walked down the stairs.
4. Taylor decided to become a tattoo artist right after a bath. Taylor loves markers and if you don't watch carefully, she will decorate her entire body.
(She hates when Mommy messes up her plans)
So as Elder Wirthlin said, "The first thing we can do is learn to laugh. Have you ever seen an angry driver who, when someone else makes a mistake, reacts as though that person has insulted his honor, his family, his dog, and his ancestors all the way back to Adam? Or have you had an encounter with an overhanging cupboard door left open at the wrong place and the wrong time which has been cursed, condemned, and avenged by a sore-headed victim? There is an antidote for times such as these: learn to laugh...The next time you’re tempted to groan, you might try to laugh instead. It will extend your life and make the lives of all those around you more enjoyable."
Warren had alot of fun that night with his torch melting the plastic off the oven rack. Thank you Nicole for coming up with a reason for Daddy to use his blow torch.
3. Nicole walked up to me at a Young Women meeting with her index finger up in the air and an "I smell Poo" face. She showed me her finger and blurted out, "I have poo on my finger." I took her by the other hand and went to wash her hands - laughing to myself as I walked down the stairs.
4. Taylor decided to become a tattoo artist right after a bath. Taylor loves markers and if you don't watch carefully, she will decorate her entire body.
If she were my first born, I would stick her right back in the bathtub - but poor girl got handed a wet wipe to fend for herself.
5. My 7 year old daughter called a kiss YUMMY!! We were watching Highschool Musical 3 and right before the kiss, Kaylee says while clapping her hands, "YAY. Time for the YUMMY kiss." Oh, boy - I am in trouble.
6. When I emailed all my beehives a lovely email misspelling the word "Shirt." We were tye dying shirts and I emailed the girls to tell them that the shirts were no longer on sale. But instead, this is what I emailed these sweet 12 and 13 year old girls, "Never mind about the sh#! being on sale." NICE Kim. The girls were talking about it at the activity and one of them said her and her mom were rolling on the floor laughing. Another one said she didn't know what I met by that comment. She was so confused and couldn't imagine me saying this. It was definately worth laughing.
So as Elder Wirthlin said, "The first thing we can do is learn to laugh. Have you ever seen an angry driver who, when someone else makes a mistake, reacts as though that person has insulted his honor, his family, his dog, and his ancestors all the way back to Adam? Or have you had an encounter with an overhanging cupboard door left open at the wrong place and the wrong time which has been cursed, condemned, and avenged by a sore-headed victim? There is an antidote for times such as these: learn to laugh...The next time you’re tempted to groan, you might try to laugh instead. It will extend your life and make the lives of all those around you more enjoyable."
11 comments:
GREAT advice for me this week. There's nothing like a 5 year old boy to make you scratch your head. But laughing definitely helps. Your own language mishap is pretty funny too!
I just read this talk last week again--it certainly helped me to LAUGH instead of YELL when the boys emptied their brand new bottle of shampoo into their bath the other day.
#6 is my favorite! Seriously. I am STILL laughing out loud. BWAHAHAHAHA!
Kim kim kim- Thanks for my laugh for the day~! You are seriously so funny! I love the email you wrote to your beehives!
I'll have to try this the next time Krista tattoos herself as well...although you're nicer than I am. I make my girls go the rest of the day without washing it off, and THEN they get the wet wipe.
And I'm definitely going to start proofreading all of my emails that I send! :)
I am IMPRESSED that you can laugh so readily...I'm afraid I'm more of the "sigh with exasperation" sort of girl...DEFINITELY something I can work on!!! Thanks for a few more reasons to laugh today!
This is a great post. Kaylee is so funny to me. You are so in for it. Tasty? Really? Just as long as she isn't saying Yummy, or juicy, or something.
All of them were awesome, but the Sh@# one takes the cake.
Come what may, and love it. Unless its sh@#
What a great talk! I love your funny stories and I love that you laughed about all of them. It is a great reminder and inspiring!!
Way to love life!!! I always need to be reminded to just laugh
I loved that talk and I loved hearing about your life...and loving what came!! You are such a cute mommy! You made me laugh!
I really enjoyed this post. It's hilarious. Anyways, hope all is well.
Post a Comment