Monday, February 2, 2009

The Newest Member of our Family

Meet Cocoa!! She is a 2 year old miniature daschund and we have had her for about 1 week.

Warren and his cousin found him on Craigs list last Sunday. So, we went to the previous owners home and met "Baby." Warren and I had told each other if she doesn't bark and is pretty calm, lets try it out. Right when we walked in the door, she didn't bark and just looked at us. Nicole of course, screamed (because she is deathly afraid of dogs) and Warren had to take her out. But, this little puppy was such a sweetheart. She sat on our lap, ran around, and jumped all over the girls. Kaylee immediately fell in love. Warren and I looked at each other and said," Lets go for it." Nicole still screamed every time Baby would get close to her, but we still wanted to try it out. The owner told us we could try her out for a week and if it didn't work she would take her back. She looked alittle freaked out about us taking her dog when Nicole was screaming. But, the girls are doing great and LOVE HER TONS!!!

The previous owners smoked, so Cocoa SMELLED BAD!!! I spent alot of time washing her stuff, sterilizing everything, and bathing her (2x). I also bought a waterless bath and some spray to help her smell. IT IS BAD!! But, come to find out after going to the vet, she smells because she has periodontal disease. Her teeth are brown - pretty gross. So, we need to get them cleaned. Warren is trying to figure out how he can do it - he is thinking Benadryl and a scaler. I would be scared if I were Cocoa.

Taylor likes to get out all the bowls and "feed" Cocoa. Cocoa is a good sport and just humors her.
LOOK AT THIS!! Not scared anymore. They are good buddies.
Nicole loves to take Cocoa on walks or should I say, Cocoa walks Nicole.

Whenever Kaylee gets home from school, Cocoa licks Kaylee all over and wags her tail. She loves Kaylee. Cocoa feels safe around Kaylee.


After a few kisses from Cocoa, she rolls over and wants Kaylee to scratch her tummy. She loves her tummy scratched.

Cocoa also likes to lay in the sun. She will follow the sun around the house and bask in the sun. She hates the snow and cold. She just shivers, so we bought her a little sweater.

This is her permanent place when it is feasting time. She anxiously waits for food. If nothing comes, she will eat her dog food - but only if she has too.

9 comments:

lori parkhurst said...

That is so much fun. I think it is great that your girls love her so much. What a cute dog!

MaryAnn said...

We are jealous here! Kimmee would LOVE LOVE LOVE a little dog. Keira is afraid of them too, but I think she'd warm up pretty quickly. Maybe when we get back to the states... Cocoa is adorable!

Rachel said...

She is so adorable. What a cute face and friendly eyes. I think it's good for kids to have a dog.

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

wow--I can't do a dog, but your girls seem to relaly enjoy the pup.

bobbi said...

How fun-- we love our Max and it looks like Max and Cocoa have the same intentions at dinnertime!:) Max usually only sits underneath Conner's chair-- he knows who is a little more careless at mealtime! Love the pictures of your girls with their new puppy!
I wish you were going to Boston-- I think we are going. This will be my first time going to the AAO. Matt's secretary that helped open his office with us, just moved her family to Vermont this summer, so she said she'd come hang out with me some-- but I still wish you were going! Are you guys planning to go to any other meetings? Let us know--

Robin said...

jealous. i am jealous. Maybe if I let Roland know that Warren is starting doggie dentistry he might lighten up on his "No Dog" policy.

Jamie Lamb said...

Cute dog...but don't tell Dan. He wants to get a dog, but I just can't handle that right now. I can totally see Warren doing dentistry on that dog.

Sue said...

She is a super cute dog! She has a Lacy face and it makes me want to come and snuggle her. I hope she continues to do well with you guys. How FUN!

Jen said...

When should we schedule an annual wiener dog race? Now lets talk the rest of the family into getting one and have some wiener dog Olympics!