

About a month ago, my step Grandpa (My Grandpa McVey died when I was a sophmore and my Grandmother got remarried to a wonderful man Rodney Mann) passed away. He was a sweetheart and loved us dearly. He had a stroke awhile back and my Grandma devoted her life to helping him. She helped him walk again when no one thought he would. He was diagnosed with cancer a couple of months ago, and my grandma didn't stop. She worked so hard, but poor Rod was in so much pain. He died shortly before his birthday. After his funeral, my Grandma came to stay with my parents for alittle while. Great-Grandma asked Kaylee to come up one night for a sleepover and they had a blast. They played barbies, dress up, colored, and watched movies. After the sleepover, Nicole, Taylor, and I went up to get her. Nicole fell in love with Great-Grandma's dog Lady and Lady loved her. Nicole would constantly throw her toy and Lady would go catch it. She wouldn't do that with anyone else. How fun for Nicole.
While at grandma and grandpa's house, the girls also had their traditional popcorn and spicy drink (rootbeer) with Grandpa.


It was wonderful to spend time with my grandmother and to have the girls get to spend time with their great-grandma. I also got to hear stories about Rod which made me happy. One story I loved was hearing how Rod loved his grandchildren and great-grandchildren. Because his memory wasn't the greatest, he kept a prayer book. It was a tiny spiral notebook and he wrote everyone's name in it. At night when he would say his prayers, he would go through the book and name the grandchildren, spouses, and great-grandchildren one by one. Everytime I saw him, he would smile and tell me how proud he was of my accomplishments. He was also so proud of Warren and how great he did in school. He loved my girls and I could feel his admiration and love everytime he looked at them. He will be greatly missed!!
2 comments:
Kim, I'm sorry...I didn't know he had passed away. It's never fun, I hope your Grandma can find peace and comfort now.
do you live near her? and your parents?
Post a Comment