When this picture was taken, I was about to leave the hospital and go home on strict bed rest. I was anxious to get home and knew it would be a challenge to not be "MOM." Little did I know, I would be back in 48 hours.
On Tuesday, Oct. 18, I went to my scheduled appointment with my doctor. We made plans to have a scheduled c-section on Nov. 5 unless I started having complications again. Pat (my mother-in-law) and I left the doctor and drove the 8 minutes back home. I called Warren and was telling him about "the plan." We pulled the car into the garage, and as I stood up to get out of the car...I started to bleed...ALOT!! I panicked, ran into the bathroom, and told Warren I was going back to the hospital. I told him to just stay at work, I would probably be readmitted to the hospital. Pat drove me back to the hospital and I was seen immediately. I was hooked up to monitors and poked again with IV's, the nurse left to call the doctor and within 5 minutes was back. She walked in the room and said, "You are having a baby, today." My heart sunk, I started to sweat, and the tears started. Pat called Warren and Dr. Weary came in to talk to me. He reassured me everything would be fine and explained why we needed to do this right now. He told me that we were basically waiting for a bigger bleed and at that point, things could be dangerous. Right now, we were in a controlled environment and baby is doing well. I agreed and Dr. Weary talked to Warren on the phone. He also reassured Warren that we would wait for him unless something drastic happened. I was actually surprised at how calm I was amid the chaos. I remember saying to the nurse, laughing, "I don't even know the date. What will be my little boy's birthday?"Nurses were rushing all around, the anesthesiologist was talking to me, Pat was making sure girls were taken care of, etc. I just took a lot of deep breathes and tried to keep a positive attitude because my little boy was being born in less than an hour. I was going to see him, hold him, hear his cry, etc. This is what I thought about during the chaos.
The time went so fast and pretty soon, I was taken into the surgery room, given a spinal (twice...OUCH), and the excitement started to overcome me. I felt so blessed during this time because I didn't feel sick, things were going according to "plan," Warren was right by me, and the atmosphere in the room was pure happiness.
Little baby boy was born at 5pm on Oct. 18. He was 34 weeks and 3 days. When I heard his scream, the tears started.
The surgery went well and once again, we were reassured that we made the right decision. The placenta was now full placenta previa and was on its way out. What a blessing!!
He showed his strength from the beginning. The nurses couldn't believe how feisty and strong he was for a 34 weeker.
He was hooked up to a lot of stuff at first, but after a couple of hours...he only needed oxygen and an IV.
I held him for the first time at 10:30 that night. My nurses wouldn't let me see him until I could safely get out of bed into a wheelchair without falling over. I was determined and got out of bed quickly.
Warren and I immediately started talking about names. I had a list of names I liked and told Warren I would be happy with any of them. James and Isaac were my favorites, but I wasn't sure.
After a few minutes, I heard Warren calling him Blake, Blakers, Blakester, etc. Warren had decided and I still needed some time. The next morning, I started calling him Blake and it fit. I actually loved the name. Warren and I just couldn't decide on his middle name. I wanted "Warren" and Warren wanted "Powell, Superior, Rider, etc" He was cracking me up.
After 2 days, Blake was transferred to a normal newborn bed and was doing really well. I started to feed him and once again, he was beating all of the statistics. He was eating well, sleeping well, and growing. He did get down to 5lbs 2 oz, but once he started eating on his own...he started to gain weight.
The nurses in the NICU were fantastic. They immediately put him on a schedule and I was allowed to help with everything. I took his temperature, fed him, bathed him, monitored him, and the nurses helped when I needed it. I would get myself out of bed, wheel myself to the NICU and help take care of Blake.
By the 3rd day in the hospital, I was walking down to the NICU by myself and was finally used to seeing him in the NICU. I was as intimidated at first, but was now feeling comfortable with the idea.
Blake loved to be swaddled while he slept. If you didn't keep his hands covered, he would pull out his oxygen, pull on his hair, and scratch himself. He hated the oxygen tubes. The nurses would constantly remark on his strength and feisty personality.
Blake is constantly grunting, spitting, sticking out his tongue, kicking his legs, pulling on his tubes whenever he can, and grabbing at his hair.
Nicole was a little nervous around Blake. She would only get this close. But, she was always carrying her baby and was so exited to have a baby brother. Nicole is such a big help. She loves to get me diapers, throw away diapers, help me burp him, get his binky and blankie, and rub his back when he is sad.
Taylor loves her little Blake. But, I think she is so happy to finally see him and have a "normal" mom. While I was in the hospital, she asked me, "Mom, do you keep the commandments. " I said yes and she proceeded to say, "Good. Because that means when you die, you will live with Jesus and Heavenly Father." Poor thing thought I was dying. Made me sad, but the comment also put a smile on my face.
Kaylee has matured so much over the past couple weeks. She helped Warren with the girls by making them breakfast, doing their hair, helping them get ready for school, doing the dishes etc. One night in the hospital, she told me she was tired of being responsible. I didn't blame her. I would be tired too. She is so excited to have her baby brother home. She has been so anxious to hold him, hold his hand, help him relax when he is sad, and just love him. Kaylee is such an awesome big sister.Blake Warren Johnson born on Oct. 18 at 5pm. Weighing 5lbs 11oz and 19 inches long.
And we are so excited to have him in our family!!
And we are so excited to have him in our family!!


8 comments:
What a story! So glad Blake is here and that he is healthy and doing well. I am glad you are doing well too. I LOVE Dr. Weary, and reading this made me miss him. My doctor here is great, but there is no doctor like Dr. Weary. Tell him hi for me.
oh, Kim, he's perfect. I need to see him! I love the picture of Warren with him. So precious.
Kim! He is so cute! It was nice to read the story. I am so glad things are turning out okay. He's a cute little guy and I am so glad he's a fighter. He's going to have to be strong so he can protect his sisters.
I'm so glad you are home and getting settled in to your new life. Squeeze all those kids for me!
What a precious little boy! I am glad he is here and doing great. I hope you are feeling well. I see Dr. Weary too and just love him!
Congrats on a beautiful baby boy! So glad that he's doing so well and everything went okay with you and the delivery. We're thinking of y'all!
I have been trying to be patient to hear the whole story! I am so glad that he is safe and strong (and you too!) What a darling darling boy and what amazing little girlies you have!!
CONGRATS!
what a little miracle!!
Kim, he is just precious! He's a lucky boy to have 3 adoring older sisters. Trust me, he will be well mothered!
Post a Comment