Saturday, September 24, 2011

Really?! Why does this happen...

Yes!! That is a broken arm. I distinctly remember another daughter of mine breaking her arm at the age of 4. The first time we experienced a broken arm was in Moab, Utah and this time we were in Lake Powell. Luckily, the break wasn't as bad as Nicole's (Nicole needed surgery)...but still.

One thing that was so sad about this entire experience was my terrified little Taylor. Taylor is my most cautious child. She does everything with a weary eye - and of course, she was the one to break her arm. While Taylor was climbing up the ramp from the sand to the house boat, she fell only about 1 foot and must have landed just the right way. I heard her crying, picked her up, and she seemed to be just fine until you tried to move her arm. She wouldn't let us touch it. I even tried to touch it while she was sleeping, but she woke up angry with me.

Her sisters took good care of her until Warren and I decided what to do. Kaylee fed her and Nicole brought her blankie, Ruffy, and Eagle. Our friend Brandon radioed Bullfrog Marina and asked if they had x-rays at their urgent care center. They said, "Yes," so Warren zoomed off with screaming Taylor to the doctor. He was back 10 minutes later - no X-rays available.

So, my smart and resourceful husband with our very intelligent friend Brandon decided to make a splint out of duct tape and cardboard for Taylor to wear through the night. We than bandaged her up nice and tight. Poor thing screamed while Brandon and Warren got it on her, but afterward she did just fine and fell asleep.

The next morning, her arm was still hurting and bruised, so Warren took her to Price, Utah. Can you believe the closest Emergency Room was 2 1/2 hours away? Taylor was scared out of her mind when Warren left with her in the boat, and as I watched them leave...I cried. It is not easy to see your child in pain.

They arrived back in Lake Powell around 9pm and the lake was too dark, so Warren and Taylor slept on some random persons house boat. He asked the people who owned the house boat if he could borrow some foam pads and they took pity on my poor little girl. They were so nice to offer the house boat.
The next morning I was awoken by our boat pulling up and a big hug from my wounded little girl. She had a big smile on her face and showed me her bandaged arm and Eagle.

I wonder what will happen on our next trip...

4 comments:

Koren said...

Oh my goodness!! Poor Taylor! My cousin is from Price and is in medical school so he can be an ER doctor cause he says they don't have anything out there.

Cumorah said...

Shoot! So sorry! She sure has sweet sisters to take care of her like that though!

Sue said...

I'm so sorry Kim! When we were young, our family was cursed on trips. I think the curse was passed to your family. Unfortunately, broken bones are worse than a broken down car.
Give Taylor a hug from all of us. Hope she gets better soon!

Cristina said...

Oh poor baby! I hope she she feels better soon!!