Sunday, September 20, 2009

Summer Garden

I love vegetable gardens. This year we had a ton of hail, so I was alittle nervous that the plants wouldn't survive - BUT, I was wrong. The favorite this year has been carrots. I have never grown carrots before and the girls love them. Kaylee's favorite thing to do is see how big the carrots have become because it is always a surprise.

We had some huge zucchini plants this year and they produced huge zucchinis.

The carrots were really sweet and were a favorite when friends came over.

Kaylee loved making fresh salads from our garden. She would use carrots, lettuce, strawberries, and sweet peas.

Here is what we planted this year:

Lettuce

The strawberry plants are growing - we just don't get many strawberries. I am trying to figure out why. Any suggestions?

Snap peas, carrots, and green onions. The green onions got pretty destroyed during the hail storms, so I had only 1 survive. I was pretty bummed because the green onions were my favorite last year. Better luck next year!!

Rhubarb and pumpkins

This has been one of my trials this summer - WEEDS!! We have had alot of rain this summer which I am very grateful for, but we had so many weeds - Weeds from the nasty tumbleweeds. Every time I felt the weeds were under control, more would pop up. So, I recruited Kaylee to be my helper. I told her I would pay her $.10 per weed. I had no idea she would spend 2 hours picking weeds and earning $25 - BUT, it was well worth it and Kaylee was so happy to make some money.

2 comments:

Jamie Lamb said...

Your garden is awesome. I am glad to hear you had good success with carrots. I love carrots but I heard they don't do well in Colorado. We will have to try carrots next year.

lori parkhurst said...

Looks like a fun garden again. I am glad you enjoy it so much!