Sunday, September 14, 2008

End of Summer

Well, the weather is getting cooler, the colors on the trees are changing, and on Saturday there was snow in the mountains. It is my favorite time of year and I love it. Every time I see a red or yellow leaf, I get so excited and show the girls. Just the other morning, Warren was watching football highlights, the windows were opened with a very cool breeze blowing through, and the girls were getting ready for school. I told Warren I had the nervous, anxious, excited feeling I get this time of year. I have know idea why. Maybe it's school starting, those years in marching band and football games, or maybe it's the fall colors. It makes me feel like baking and shopping. Who knows why-but, I love this time of year. I love Halloween, pumpkins, the food, the clothes, apple picking, pumpkin patches, the decorations, etc. I love it all!!
So, heres to the end of summer and some of the highlights:

POOL FUN
Last year, the girls hardly played in the the splash park, but this year they loved it (when it was opened).


Nicole's favorite thing to do at the pool is to jump in. She just jumps in, climbs out, and jumps back in. The funniest thing to watch is her trying to duck her head in the water with her life jacket on. She loves the water and maybe next year, she will be without life jacket. That is a BIG maybe because she is soooo daring.

This year Kaylee learned how to swim and got pretty confident. One day she swam all the way across the pool, took a break on the other side, and went back. She needed alittle help on the way back, but did AWESOME. It was fun watching her grow in confidence.

Taylor also loves the water or "wa, wa." When I would say okay girls lets go swim, she would quickly stop what she was doing and go find her swimsuit. She never complained when I put her life jacket on and loved to splash in the pool.

LABOR DAY
On Labor Day, we went with our good friends the Carlsons up in the mountains to go off roading. The spot was perfect, no bugs, perfect weather, and big open space. The girls loved it and Warren was soooooo happy!! I think we may have found a new tradition for Labor Day.



Nicole is in her element when we are outside. She loves the dirt and off-roading. She doesn't even blink or scream when they go fast or fly in the air.
Taylor loves the motorcycles. When she hears the engine, she comes running, lifts her arms up, and wants a ride. She gets a huge smile and loves it.



We borrowed a razor from Andy and everyone loved it. Especially Warren and Kent. They would take that thing soooo fast and jump off of things. The girls loved it. You could hear them screaming and laughing from far away.


The car seat could strap into the seat belt, so Taylor was safe while Warren went crazy on the razor. He told me he didn't do anything too crazy, but I wonder? At the end of the day, the girls were flithy dirty. Fun was had by all. We waited all summer to do this, and we squeezed it in at the very end. YEA!!

Now on to my least favorite thing to do when summer is over - the switch over of clothes!! AHHHHHHHH!!



It is such a chore and it kind of makes me sad. When I pack up the clothes the girls have outgrown and pull out the new ones, it makes me reminisce and sad. I remember Kaylee and Nicole wearing the clothes, wonder if I will get to use the baby clothes again, realize how much they have grown, and wonder where the time went. Alot of the outfits have memories and I think about them as I put them away.

Goodbye summer and hello to my favorite time of year.

7 comments:

Sue said...

I just sorted the clothes too, it's a daunting task, and I think I always put it off because it is so emotional.
Fun to see the end of summer fun!

Robin said...

I loved watching your family at the pool this year. You are ALL so cute.

Evan and Rebecca Jones said...

This time of year is wonderful, and it totally reminds me of football too!

The only thing that I can't handle is knowing that snow is right around the corner... :)

lori parkhurst said...

I just went through clothes too. I am at a stage where I am getting rid of baby things and into a new chapter of our lives. I cherish every moment I have with Aspen since she is my last baby. It was hard to get rid of my high chair at the yard sale. I use the lock tot chair instead.I love fall too. Your post was a fun read. My kids love love love to swim too.

Jen and Kent said...

hooray for fall! my only complaint is that it doesn't last long enought. So, let's enjoy it while we can!!

Brandalyn said...

Summer is over, and I am kind of sad about that. Gordon loves halloween so that is fun to look forward to. Your girls are so adorable!! Way to go on the 1/2 marathon. I can't say that is something on my to do list, but I really admire those who can do it. That is awesome.

Dani said...

awe! I love your pool pictures! Your girls are cuties!